Automated Reasoning (2016-17): This course is undergoing a major update.

On this page:

The lectures are given by:

The Teaching Assistant (TA) is:

Demonstrator times:

Help and Feedback

If you run into difficulties and are not making satisfactory progress then seek help. The earlier you ask for help the more likely it is that your problems can be solved without damaging your performance in the course. This is a challenging course, which introduces you to novel techniques and skills. You are expected to learn them over a short period of time.

To seek help

Various kinds of feedback are provided during the course.

Lecture Schedule

Lectures are held at 15.10-16.00 in Semester 1. Details:

The first lecture is on Tuesday 20th September 2016.

Note that there are no lecture notes for the course. Instead, recommended reading is associated with each lecture. This reading is usually from:

There will be one lecture on the coursework assignment to provide some general information and background. Note: These lectures do not necessarily coincide with the hand-out dates for the assignment sheet. Students should start work on their coursework as soon as they are handed out rather than wait for the lectures, if these come later on.

Please note: At any point of the course, the future schedule gives a strong indication of the topics to be covered. However, some details might change.

Week Date Title Recommended Reading
1 Tue 20th Sep 2016 1. Introduction Bundy, Ch. 1
[background] Formal Proof by Tom Hales.
[background] Logicomix
Fri 23rd Sep 2016 2. Propositional Logic and Natural Deduction
H&R Sec 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, start of 1.4
[background] Wadler's Propositions as Types
2 Tue 27th Sep 2016 3. Natural Deduction and Starting with Isabelle
Isabelle Theory file for Lecture 3
H&R Sec 1.2, 1.4
Sec 5.1-5.7 of Tutorial on Isabelle/HOL
Prop.thy Isabelle theory file
Fri 30th Sep 2016 4. Propositional Reasoning in Isabelle
Sec 5.1-5.7 of Tutorial on Isabelle/HOL
[background] Pollack's How to Believe a Machine-Checked Proof
[background] How do they verify a verifier of formalized proofs?
3 Tue 4th Oct 2016 5. First-order Logic
H&R Secs 2.1-2.4
FOL.thy Isabelle theory file
[background] Logitext - an interactive L-system FOL prover
Fri 7th Oct 2016 6. Representation
Bundy Ch. 4
4 Tue 11th Oct 2016 7. Introduction to Higher Order Logic in Isabelle Sec 1.1-1.4 of Tutorial on Isabelle/HOL
N&K Sec 2.1-2.2
Fri 14th Oct 2016 8. Representation II: Locales in Isabelle/HOL
Isabelle Theory file for Lecture 8
Tutorial on Locales
[background] Interpretation of Locales in Isabelle
5 Tue 18th Oct 2016 9. Coursework: Proving and Reasoning in Isabelle/HOL See coursework files
Fri 21st Oct 2016 10. Isar — A Language for Structured Proofs
Isar Demo Theory
The Isabelle/Isar Quick Reference Manual
N&K Ch. 5
6 Tue 25th Oct 2016 11. Program Verification using Hoare Logic
Lecture by Petros Papapanagiotou
Isabelle's Hoare Logic library
H&R Sec 4.1-4.3
N&K Sec 12.2.1
[background] Reading on Hoare Logic (especially pages 1-27, 37-48).
Fri 29th Oct 2016 12. Write your own Theorem Prover
Lecture by Phil Scott
7 Tue 1st Nov 2016 13. Unification Bundy, Sec 17.1-17.4
Fri 4th Nov 2016 14. Rewriting I Bundy, Ch. 9
Sec 3.1 of Tutorial on Isabelle/HOL
8 Tue 8th Nov 2016 15. Rewriting II Bundy, Ch. 9
Fri 11th Nov 2016 16.
9 Tue 15th Nov 2016 17.
Fri 18th Nov 2016 18.
10 Tue 22nd Nov 2016 19.
Fri 25th Nov 2016 20.


Each tutorial sheet will be released the week before it's due to take place. Solutions will usually be added the week after that of the tutorial.
Week Title Solutions
3 Tutorial 1: Propositional logic and some Isabelle
4 Tutorial 2: First order logic and more Isabelle
5 Tutorial 3: Representation and reasoning in Isabelle using locales
6 Tutorial 4: Structured proofs in Isabelle
7 Tutorial 5: Reasoning about Hoare Logic in Isabelle [thy]

Additional Isabelle Exercises

These are additional self-help exercises for you to familiarize yourself with theorem proving in Isabelle. Note that some of the statements that you're asked to prove may overlap with those in the tutorials.

Acknowledgement: Some of these originate from an annual Isabelle/HOL lab course taught at the Technische Universit√§t M√ľnchen.

Title Files
Propositional logic [pdf][thy]
Predicate logic [pdf][thy]
A riddle: The rich grandfather [pdf][thy]
A Bad Axiomatization [pdf][thy]


Useful Resources

Assessment and Coursework

There will be one item of assessed coursework for this course, which will count for 40% of the overall mark (the other 60% is assessed by exam).

The dates for the coursework are as follows:


Home : Teaching : Courses 

Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AB, Scotland, UK
Tel: +44 131 651 5661, Fax: +44 131 651 1426, E-mail:
Please contact our webadmin with any comments or corrections. Logging and Cookies
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright © The University of Edinburgh