How to do an Informatics PhD
Below are some links to online advice on doing Informatics
research. I have deliberately including a range of views, not all
of which I agree with.
These notes are from courses I have given previously on research
The Nature of Informatics
- Milner, R. Is
computing an experimental science?. Journal of Information
Technology 2,2, 1987, pp60--66.
- Denning, P.J. Is Computer
- Wing, J.M
- Lighthill, J. The
Lighthill Report. SRC, 1974. Also, a video of the debate
on the report at the Royal Institution and broadcast by the
BBC. Panelists are James Lighthill, Donald Michie, John McCarthy
and Richard Gregory.
- Sloman A. Exploring
Design Space and Niche Space, Procs Scandinavian Conference on
AI, IOS Press, 1995.
- Cohen, P. A Survey
of the Eighth National Conference on AI: Pulling Together or
Pulling Apart, Amherst Technical Report 91-68, 1991.
- Marr, D. Artificial
Intelligence: A Personal View AI Journal.
- McDermott, D. Artificial
Intelligence meets Natural Stupidity from "Mind Design" edited
by John Haughland.
- Sloman, A.
Types of Research in Computing Science, Software Engineering and
Codes of Conduct
- Bundy, A., du Boulay, B., Howe, J.A.M. and Plotkin, G. The
- Schwartz, M.A. The
importance of stupidity in scientific research . Journal of
Cell Science 121, 1771 (2008).
- Weinberg, S. Four
Golden Lessons: Text of commencement talk given by the author
at the Science Convocation at McGill University in June 2003.
- Hamming, R..
You and Your Research. Discussion of what it takes to do Nobel
Prize winning quality research.
- Carroll, S.
How to Be a Good Graduate Student.
- Barley, S.
Staying the course. An article in the New Scientist 18th
December 2010 on the unexpected obstacles that could arise duing
your PhD and how to overcome them.
- Sanscartier, M. and Johnston, M.
How to thrive on academic criticism
- Green, D.R. The
Astonishing Secret to Getting Jobs, Grants, Papers, and Happiness
- Butterworth, R. I did a
PhD and did NOT go mad
- Anon Online PhD
- Rocky Dunlap Advice for PhD Students from Rocky Dunlap's Blog. Rocky shares some of the lessons he has painfully learned over a too-long period as a PhD student.
- Robert Brown Write Right First Time. Practical advice on improving your paper writing with self-help groups called 'learning sets' and asking eight important questions.
- Hal R. Varian How to Build an Economic Model in Your Spare Time. Good research methodology about model building.