SAPM: Software Architecture, Process, and Management
This is the home page for the School of Informatics course
"SAPM: Software Architecture, Process, and Management", given by James
A. Bednar in January-March 2006.
- 22 Dec 05: These pages will be updated regularly over the
semester, so please check this page and the lecture notes page at
least weekly for news. Be sure to refresh both pages in your browser
before deciding there is no news.
- 10 Jan 06: There is a bug in the Informatics timetable -- SAPM
is scheduled to meet in Appleton Tower Lecture Theatre 2, not AT-LT1
as originally listed. Apologies for the confusion, but at least the
thought of teaching Inf2D and SAPM in the same room made for an
entertaining start to the semester.
- 12 Jan 06: You might find this article from yesterday's Register
IT graduates criticize universities. According
to the study, 46 percent of respondents said the training they
received in university courses did not provide them with appropriate
skills for today's workplace. Specifically, graduates complained
that they were not taught Java or .Net, two key technologies in the
- 25 Jan 06: You might find this upcoming (31 Jan) talk interesting: Exploration games for UML software design.
- 27 Jan 06: It is crucial that you begin setting up CVS for your
assignments now that groups have been assigned, as described in our
- 30 Jan 06: Updated the sample CVS transcript to show an example
of using bash, since that's the DICE default shell.
- 03 Feb 06: Getting CVS to work: The computing support staff have
set up shared directories named like /group/teaching/sapm-teamxx
for each group. Please move your CVS repositories there, which
should avoid the problems that people have had with DICE quotas.
- 07 Feb 06: Assignment 1 posted.
- 14 Feb 06: Guest lecturer scheduled: Paul Lyden, on 28 February.
See the lecture notes page
- 01 Mar 06: Added details of MSc
- 15 Mar 06: Added details of UG4
assignment 2. Only UG4
groups need to send it in, but MSc groups should find it very
helpful for studying for the final exam, and may want to meet to go
over some of it.
- 04 Apr 06: Note that if you are looking for old
papers for this course, they will be listed under
Software Engineering with Objects and Components 2 (SEOC2),
not SAPM; this is the first semester the course has been offered
with the new, more accurate name.
Last updated: 2006/04/04 12:26:46
|Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AB, Scotland, UK
Tel: +44 131 651 5661, Fax: +44 131 651 1426, E-mail:
Please contact our webadmin with
any comments or corrections. Logging and Cookies
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright ©
The University of Edinburgh