Subject: [Staff] Fault Reporting - Wait if you can

From: Stuart Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 19:00:52 +0000

Dear All,
    The fire at South Bridge has caused considerable disruption to our 
computing systems.  The consequence is that some users do not have 
access to their files, many applications are not available and various 
other problems. On Monday 9th our computing officers will be working 
hard to work around the immediate problems so please, unless it is very 
urgent, try *not* to report faults that day.  Sometime on Monday a web 
page giving the status of the computing service will be created that 
should help you work out if your problem is a known or not.  Once things 
are a little more stable please report faults using the standard support 
form:

support form <http://www.informatics.ed.ac.uk/cgi-bin/support.cgi>

rather than mailing individuals to report problems.

If you are a student and have a submission deadline in the near future 
and are unable to work because you have no accees to data, systems or 
applications then please don't worry because an appropriate extension 
policy will be devised in the next few days and posted to all students.

Our email system is an important medium of communication at the moment 
and we should try to avoid clogging it with unnecessary messages, so if 
you want information please have a look at the Informatics web pages 
first and avoid sending mail if you can.  Information on the effects of 
the fire will be posted on the web page as it becomes available.

Yours,
    Stuart.

-- 
Stuart Anderson				Email: [email-masked]
Deputy Head, School of Informatics	Tel: (+44) 131 650 5191
King's Buildings			Fax: (+44) 131 667 7209  
Edinburgh EH9 3JZ, UK