Text Technologies for Data Science
Course code: INFR11145
Course details, including prerequisites, topics covered, and course objectives are: here
The course material of this course is made publicly available for anyone interested to audit the course. This includes lectures slides, recordings, and labs below. However, CW submissions and lab support are provided only to those enrolled to the course.
Wednesdays, 12.00-14.30, Online. Link available on Learn
Tuesdays, 3 different slots on Teams: 9-10am, 11am:12pm, 6-7pm.
Piazza discussion forum of the course is here
Handouts will be posted on the day of the lecture. Recording of lectures will be available on Learn.
- Lab 0: How to read a text file from disk (optional): Lab
- Lab 1: Based on lectures 3 and 4: Lab
- Lab 2: Based on lecture 5: lab
- Lab 3: Based on lecture 7: lab
- Lab 4: no new lab this week, support continues for previuos labs.
- Lab 5: Based on lecture 11: lab
- Lab 6: Based on lectures 15 and 16: lab
- Lab 7: Based on lectures 17 and 18: lab
All labs will be online this year. Labs will run in a self-learing/online-support fashion as follows:
- After each lecture on Wednesday, related lab will be announced and posted online.
- Students will be responsible to start implementing lab directly on their own at home (or on DICE machines). If they have any related question to the lab, they should post it on Piazza and tag their question that it is related to which lab
- Demonstrators will be responsible to asnwer questions related to labs on Piazza. Other students are welcome to provide answers as well.
- Please check that your question has not been asked already by another student before posting yours
- A thread called "answers of Lab X" will be posted on Piazza so students can share their output of the lab.
- By the next Tuesday, if some students still need some help in their lab, we will provide several slots for online meetings with demonstrators to answer your questions live. Note, online lab slots are limited, so kindly, do not register for it unless you followed all Piazza posts on the lab and still failed to produce the output.
- Coursework 1: Based on lectures 3-7: AS01. Full details here!
Submission deadline Sunday, 31 October 2021.
- Coursework 2: Based on lectures 8,9,15,16,17,18: AS02. Full details here!
Submission deadline Sunday, 5 December 2021.
- Coursework 3 (Group Project): Based on the entire course: Main points!
Lecture about the group project with example from last year: Recording
Team submission deadline: Friday, 17 December 2021.
Submission deadline: 5pm Friday, 18 March 2022.
Course Coordinators: Walid Magdy and Bjorn Ross
|Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AB, Scotland, UK
Tel: +44 131 651 5661, Fax: +44 131 651 1426, E-mail:
Please contact our webadmin with
any comments or corrections. Logging and Cookies
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright ©
The University of Edinburgh