INFORMATICS 2D: Reasoning and Agents
The material on this page
is currently being updated for the 2016/17 session
- Official University Course Descriptor, Informatics Course Information Page
- Teaching Assistants (TAs):
Kobby K. A. Nuamah for lectures 1-15, tutorials 1-5, and the 1st assignment
Mihai Dobre for lectures 16-30, tutorials 6-10, and the 2nd assignment
- Set Book:
Note that there will be no lecture notes for this course, but
assigned reading from Russell and Norvig will be associated with
each lecture. You might also find it useful to refer to:
- “Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach”
Third Edition, Russell R & Norvig P, Prentice Hall, 2010.
- “Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming”,
Simon Thompson, Addison Wesley, 1999
- Lecture videos: Last year's videos are available online at this URL. Once available, you should be able to view this year's videos here.
- Discussion group: A discussion group for the course will be created on Piazza, you can sign up for it at this page. Please note that we will mainly use this as a tool for peer support, and expect that you contact lecturers/TAs by email with any critical issues or questions that require an authoritative answer. Also, the page you are currently looking at is the central location for all course-relevant information.
- Programming Languages: Haskell for the first assignment and Prolog for the second assignment.
- Timetable: Lectures are
held at 15.10-16:00 in Teviot Lecture Theatre Doorway 5, the Medical School, on Tuesdays,
Thursdays and Fridays in Semester 2.
- Slides: You can download the
slides for each lecture from the links in the timetable.
Each student will be allocated to a tutorial group, which will be held
once a week throughout the semester, starting in week 2 (week of the 18th January). Preparatory work for the tutorial
will be assigned in advance and will be based on lectures from the previous
week. The list of tutorial times and group allocations can be
found at ITO's tutorial groups page . Solutions to tutorials will be provided at the end of every week of tutorials.
Assessment will be by:
- An end of year exam (75%)
Coursework (25%): 2 assignments, worth 12.5% each.
The first coursework will be issued here by February 1st 2017.
The deadline for assignment 1 is 4pm Thursday 9th March 2017 and
The deadline for assignment 2 is 4pm Monday 27th March 2017.
We will endeavour to return feedback to students no later than 2 weeks after the deadlines. For more information, see Informatics coursework guidelines.
Policy on Late Coursework
Academic Conduct Policy
- Drop-in labs: Coursework clincs will be offered on Fridays from 11am to 1pm in Forest Hill Room 1.B32 in weeks 5, 6, 8, and 9 (19th/26th February and 11th/18th March)
- TA office hours:
- Mihai Dobre: Friday from 10.00 to 11.00 in room 3.05 Informatics Forum
- Kobby K. A. Nuamah: Thursday from 11.00 to 12.00 in room 2.05 Informatics Forum
- Past Exam Papers: can be reached from the main
past examination papers page.
- Student Representatives: TBD
- Comments on the Course: Please take some time to fill in the
online feedback questionnaires.
|Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AB, Scotland, UK
Tel: +44 131 651 5661, Fax: +44 131 651 1426, E-mail:
Please contact our webadmin with
any comments or corrections. Logging and Cookies
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright ©
The University of Edinburgh