We recommend you use the CogTool software
to analyze how much time it would take an expert user to accomplish a standard task on the app you are to evaluate as opposed to another smart refrigerator app. Other GOMES modeling software is acceptable, CogTool is just known to be fairly usable.
GOMS is the most technically challenging methodology in Coursework 2. It requires you to download software off of GitHub that only works on Windows and Mac computers. You will then use the software to calculate how quickly an expert user could accomplish a task on a given interface.
In this evaluation you will be comparing the time required to do actions in two
refrigerator apps to see which is more efficient for expert users.
Your writeup must address the following points:
- What other smart refrigerator application you chose to evaluate (probably your own, but state that).
- Describe the tasks and sequence of actions you chose to evaluate. Explain any decisions you made while specifying the tasks and options.
- Summarize the outcomes of the data analysis. This section will likely include tables and possibly graphs.
- Recommendations to the designer. For this section, imagine that you are writing a set of recommendations to app designer team based on your evaluation. What would you recommend they prioritize fixing first? What should they be aware of in the future?
- Tasks you looked at and the sequence of actions.
- Screenshot of the CogTool mapping screen showing all the screens and the connections between them.
The following resources are good places to start looking for guidance on conducting a survey. There are many good resources on conducting interviews, find the ones that fit your needs to best.
|Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AB, Scotland, UK
Tel: +44 131 651 5661, Fax: +44 131 651 1426, E-mail:
Please contact our webadmin with
any comments or corrections. Logging and Cookies
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright ©
The University of Edinburgh