AI Large Practical (AILP), 2015–16: Read the Log Below for Latest News
DRPS Course Descriptor
Week 3 (5 -- 9 Oct): Meeting on Tues 1300 only this week
If you cannot log in to the AILP Wiki (login button on the top right of the wiki pages) email me and I will add you to the correct group.
|| Stuart Anderson <soa(at)inf.ed.ac.uk>
| Lab demonstrator:
|| TBC <tbc(at)sms.ed.ac.uk>
- In week 1, we will be running the introductory lecture both on Tuesday 22 Sept and Friday 25th Sept in Room 3.D01 of Forrest Hill. If you are interested please come along. The first lecture slides and assignment 1 are on this page.
The main lecture slot is Wednesdays at 9:00, in Seminar Room 6, Chrystal Macmillan Building ; these will be in at least weeks 1, 2, 7 and 8. In week 1 we will use the first drop-in lab session as the first meeting.
There will also be drop-in lab sessions, allowing time for
questions on all aspects of the assignments, including
design and implementation. These will happen:
- Tuesday, 13:00, room 3.D01 Forrest Hill.
- Thursday, 13:00, room 3.D01 Forrest Hill.
There are two assignments (assignment 2 will be available at the end of week 2):
- The first assignment
is due in draft at 16:00, Monday 19th October 2015 and I will provide comments on the draft. The final submission date is 16:00 Thursday 29th October 2015 .
- The second assignment
is due at 16:00, Tuesday 22nd December 2015.
This assignment will be returned at the start
of the second semester (Monday 11th January).
- This LaTeX skeleton file can be used
as a starting point for your report (use unzip to unpack
it). You are not required to use this skeleton; it
is only a suggestion.
We will use a wiki as a forum for discussion and questioning during the course. You can find it here: AILP Wiki
. 16% of the final grade will be awarded for useful contribution to the wiki. Details of the grading scheme for this will be available shortly.
I will not be holding fixed office hours, but I will make a schedule available on a week-by-week basis.
This section will carry a log of activity on the course.
- Week 3: I've been in discussion with the COmputing Officers in the School and it turns out that all we need is installed in Scientific Linux 6 so if you ssh to one of the student compute servers you will get the right environment. After logging in to DICE just say "ssh student.compute" and you will have access to python3.4 with igraph installed.
- Week 3: We only meet on Tuesday 6th at 1300 this week. Please bring along questions about the implementation or anything else. I hope I will have resolved the issues around the implementation on DICE by then.
- I have responded to all the questions I can find on the wiki. I have also added some papers to the reading and there is a contributed summary of the first two section of the main paper on the wiki.
- Week 2: I have fixed the handin dates to reflect the extensions to take account of the SELP cancellation and have added some materials to the Wiki on the issues with igraph. There should be no impediment to progressing on the assignment now.
- Week 2: Meeting on Tues 29th in FH 3.D01 at 1300 and on Wed 30th in Seminar Room 6 Chrystal Macmillan Building at 0900.
- Week 2: AILP Wiki: You should now have access to create, edit and delete things on the AILP Wiki. If you have not received an email announcing this you have yet to be added to the AILP mailing list - please let me know.
- Week 1: Extra First Meeting: Friday 25 Sept, 1300, Room 3.D01, Forrest Hill.
- I have realised that the AILP email list is not up to date because many of you have yet to make your choices. As the list settles down please read this for information regarding the course.
- Week 1: This week the lecture meeting will be on Tuesday at 1300 and Friday at 1300 in Room 3.D01 of Forrest Hill. The Friday meeting is an alternate to the Tuesday meeting because several members of the class were unable to attend the Tuesday meeting.
- Week 1: Please read the lecture slides and assignment 1. We will also use the wiki - this should be properly populated for this week by this evening.
- Week 1: Since SELP will not run this year, it has been suggested that some students transfer to AILP. AILP has capacity for 30-40 people in the class given its current room allocations. If you have done Inf 2D it is likely that you will be well prepared to do the AILP. The first lecture slides and the first assignment are on this page.
|Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AB, Scotland, UK
Tel: +44 131 651 5661, Fax: +44 131 651 1426, E-mail:
Please contact our webadmin with
any comments or corrections. Logging and Cookies
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright ©
The University of Edinburgh