Expenses, Budgets & Additional Student Costs
As a grant funded Doctoral Training Centre we are limited by the guidelines of our funding bodies (EPSRC, BBSRC and MRC). Below is a list of the allowable costs which can be paid for by the grant.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of the purchase or travel request PRIOR to making any purchase or payment commitments. Do not go ahead with the purchase until you've received approval.
Failure to do so may result in the payment or reimbursement not being covered by the DTC.
- Conference travel to present your work (see Conference Travel for further details) including poster printing if presenting a poster at the conference (see Poster Printing for information related to printing procedures).
- Research visits associated with a project
- Equipment and research costs (costs associated with your budget within your PhD proposal)
- Specific items of computing equipment (other than use of DTC servers and the ECDF cluster; approval must be sought prior to purchase)
- Publications of your DTC-supported work, both during and after your PhD
- Catering costs for Journal Clubs
Please note the DTC is unable to pay for matriculation or continuation fees charged by the University after the 1+3 years of the programme. If you go beyond the 3 years of your PhD you will receive (and will be required to personally pay) the fees for each semester beyond the end date of your Programme.
Additional costs and fees which students should be prepared to pay from their stipends include:-- MSc Graduation Fee
-- PhD Graduation Fee
-- Thesis binding costs
-- Matriculation Fees, Continuation Fees and Other Fees - for students who do not submit a thesis within the maximum period of study (as above)
Claiming for Expenses
- Only original, itemised receipts will be accepted for payment under the University's Finance policy
- If claiming for reimbursement of expenses for items listed above, please complete the UoE Claim for Expenses Form and submit it to the DTC Administrative Assistant in the Informatics Forum, room 5.39 as soon as possible after the expense is incurred. Once you have submitted your claim the information will be entered into
the eExpenses database by the DTC Administrative Assistant and approved by the DTC Centre Manager. NOTE: Students should not enter information into the eExpenses themselves as specific codes related to the DTC are required in order for approval to be granted (which the DTC Administrative Assistant will enter as proxy for all students).
- All claims should be submitted in Pounds Stirling with a print out of the exchange rate you have used (for example using the currency converter for the date the payment was made via a website such as http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ or a copy of your bank statement showing the exchange rate with personal information blacked out).
- In some cases, Petty Cash may be available to reimburse expenses less than £15
Please contact the DTC Administrative Assistant if you have any queries related to reimbursement of expenses by using the Internal Enquiries form.