Personal tools
You are here: Home Archive Informatics Graduate School - OLD For Staff Research Student Administration Immigration & Visa Advice

Immigration & Visa Advice

Support for International Students

The University's International Office, based in George Square, is the main point of contact for all immigration and student visa enquiries.

Visa Information for New Students

Visa Information for Existing Students

Main Immigration Advice Page

Visa Applications & Extensions

Students applying for a visa, or visa extension, are required to have a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). The CAS documentation is prepared by the College Office, resulting in a letter confirming your CAS number and programme details via EUCLID. Please contact the Graduate School to arrange an appointment time, giving you the opportunity to discuss your visa requirements and prepare suitable CAS documentation.  Note that personal information (date of birth, place of birth, country of birth and passport number) is required as part of the CAS application, please therefore bring your passport with you.

Visa applications will normally also need to be submitted alongside a valid ATAS certificate.  Note that visa extensions need not be accompanied with an extended ATAS.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

Tier 4 Method of Study

International Office confirm that all Tier 4 students must be full time, meaning any proposal to change to part-time study will be rejected on the basis of visa status.  UKBA advice [clause 52] states that "General student must either be doing full-time study in the United Kingdom on a full-time course of study that leads to a qualification at Level 6 or above of the revised * National Qualification Framework (NQF) or its equivalents."  Further information is available at:

UKV&I Tier 4 Points Based System Guidance