Personal tools
You are here: Home Archive Informatics Graduate School - OLD For PGR Students Formalities Immigration & Visa Advice

Immigration & Visa Advice

Support for International Students

The advice provided on this page is strictly informal.  All students are encouraged to consult the University's International Office to properly clarify their own immigration status. The International Office, based in George Square, is the main point of contact for all immigration and student visa enquiries.

Visa Information for New Students

Visa Information for Existing Students

Main Immigration Advice Page

Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme

Visa Applications & Extensions

Students applying for a visa, or visa extension, are required to have a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). The CAS documentation is prepared by the School and approved by College Office, resulting in a letter confirming your CAS number and programme details.  Students wishing to extend their visa via a CAS must first make sure that they have a valid ATAS certificate, authorised up to their maximum end date. 


Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

Once you have a valid ATAS certificate, you must visit the Graduate School to provide the following documentation:

-existing ATAS certificate

-evidence that you have paid all fees and degree related expenses

-your Passport

-all work permit and existing visa documentation


Graduate School will then check and verify this documentation and pass it to College for use when they create your CAS, along with:

-confirmation that the School is happy with your academic progress

-confirmation that you continue to adhere to UKV&I length of stay timelines 

-for extensions and interruptions, the revised maximum programme end date on your student record

-evidence of any related extension documentation, in line with any extended end date

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

Tier 4 Method of Study

International Office confirms that all Tier 4 students must be full time, meaning any proposal to change to part-time study will be rejected on the basis of visa status.  UKBA advice [clause 52] states that "General student must either be doing full-time study in the United Kingdom on a full-time course of study that leads to a qualification at Level 6 or above of the revised * National Qualification Framework (NQF) or its equivalents."  Further information is available at:

UKV&I Tier 4 Points Based System Guidance


Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme

As of 6th April 2013 a new work visa route has been introduced for students studying a PhD or other doctorate level qualification.

This new 12 month work visa route is part of the Points Based System (PBS) and is called the Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES).

In order to qualify for this new visa you must:

  •     Be on a Tier 4 (General) visa or a Student visa    Be studying a PhD or other doctorate level qualification
  •     Apply before completing your course (expected submission date of the final version of your thesis)
  •     Apply up to 60 days before your course end date (submission date)
  •     Meet the financial requirement (maintenance)

You also need to:

  •     Apply from inside the UK
  •     Have a valid Tier 4 (General) visa or Student visa at the time you apply

For full details and for information regarding the application process please visit the International Office web page below:

Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme