Computer Science 2 - Teaching Assistant Jobs
Type (Tut/Demo/Other ...): Teaching Assistant
Time in Year: Throughout year
Number of Posts: 1 (or 2 sharing)
Description: CS2 is the second-year computer science degree course. The course is split into two half-courses:
CS2Ah (term 1 week 1 to term 2 week 3)
CS2Bh (term 2 week 4 to term 3 week 5)
- Language processing (state machines, grammars, parsing)
- Computer systems (instruction sets, logic circuits, processor structure)
- Software engineering (methodology, requirements engineering, verification, validation)
More information, can be found off the CS2 home page .
- Algorithms and data structures (algorithm analysis, graph algorithms, algorithm applications)
- Java programming (inheritance, concurrency, collection classes, inner classes)
- Current technologies (Web applications using HTML and PHP. Databases and SQL)
The teaching assistants is required to provide support in the following areas.
Useful skills for a teaching assistant are: ability to write simple HTML, knowledge of LaTeX, knowledge of Unix/Linux background including the ability to write simple bash or perl scripts, some Java programming. It is not necessary to have all these skills if the job is being split between two teaching assistants.
- Web pages Maintenance of course Web pages.
- Practicals Helping lecturers with the implementation of practicals (mainly in Java). The design and implemention of automatic test suites for practicals.
- Systems Maintaining and monitoring the CS2 computing environment, including running the CS2 mailing lists and their archives.
The teaching assistants will work closely with the CS2 lecture team and with the course organiser.
Payment is at demonstrator rate (with tutoring compensated appropriately). In 2002-2003, this was £10.22 per hour.
Total Hours: 150
Contact: Please send a brief CV with a description of your relevant experience, to the Informatics Teaching Organisation (tutor applications) <firstname.lastname@example.org>